Tours and Speaker Presentations
Pinellas County Utilities is committed to educating you about water resources through facility tours, classroom presentations and participating in educational events. Some events we speak at include science fairs, Touch-A-Trucks, Great American Teach-In and STEM Academies. All tours and presentations are free and approved by the Pinellas County School Board. For more information or to request us for your event, please email our education staff at SCBTOURS@pinellascounty.org.
Speakers are available to Pinellas County groups only. We require two weeks advanced notice for scheduling, as it is based on staff availability. Our presentations are interactive and include demonstrations or hands-on activities. We can tailor presentations to accommodate times or audience needs.
You can choose from six topics:
- The Incredible Journey (Grades K-5)
- Do you know your local watershed? (Grades K-5)
- Don’t treat your toilet like a trash can! (Grades K-8)
- “A Hurricane is coming!” (Grades 6-8)
- The Chemistry of Wastewater Treatment (Grades 9-12)
- Careers in Utilities. (All Grades)
For more details or to schedule a presentation, complete this form.
Logan Laboratory & Pumping Station
Location: 1620 Ridge Road, Building B, Largo, FL 33778
You will learn about the drinking water and wastewater monitoring programs in this 90-minute tour. See monitoring activities and tour the laboratory to get a firsthand look at the microbiology, metals and wet chemistry sections of the lab.
- This tour is recommended for seventh grade and above.
- Tours are available Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. by appointment only, subject to lab schedule.
- Groups are limited to 30 participants or less.
- Closed shoes and shirts with sleeves are requested. Safety glasses will be provided.
To schedule a tour, call the laboratory manager at (727) 582-2351.
South Cross Bayou Advanced Water Reclamation Facility
About the facility
Location: 7401 54th Ave. N., St Petersburg, FL 33709
South Cross Bayou is a 33-million gallon per day (MGD) Advanced Wastewater Treatment Facility serving South Pinellas County. We use physical, biological and chemical processes to recover resources from wastewater. These resources include reclaimed water for irrigation, biosolids for fertilizer pellets and gas for renewable energy.
South Cross Bayou is home to Pinellas County Utilities’ 5,400-square-foot Public Education Center with full-time staff dedicated to fulfilling our vision for public education.
- Tours are available Tuesdays through Fridays by appointment only.
- The 90-minute tour begins with a presentation, followed by a tram-assisted tour of our 35-acre site. Topics and length can be customized for various age groups and interests.
- For your safety, you should wear flat, closed-toe shoes/sneakers or work boots that will not slide off your feet.
- We recommend wearing hats/sunglasses/sunscreen and loose-fitting athletic type clothing, as the majority of the tour is outdoors. You should also bring a drink with a lid, such as bottled water.
To schedule a tour, call (727) 464-5871 or complete this form.
You can find pre-tour activities, tour standards-by-station, teacher resource guides, resource books, career books and more for grades 6-12 on our Teacher Resources page.
William E. Dunn Water Reclamation Facility
4111 Dunn Drive, Palm Harbor, FL 34683
William E. Dunn Water Reclamation Facility is a 9-MGD Advanced Wastewater Treatment Plant that uses the Bardenpho Activated Sludge Process. We produce reclaimed water that is distributed back to North Pinellas for irrigation and biosolids to be turned into fertilizer at the South Cross Bayou Advanced Water Reclamation Facility.
- 90-minute tours are available by appointment only, with preference between 8 a.m. – 2 p.m., Tuesday through Thursday.
- It is loud outside and physical space is limited in several areas, so large groups will need to break down for separate tours. We can accommodate 10 children with 2 adults or no more than 12 adults. We ask that our guests are no younger than 6 years of age and able to follow instructions.
- Our walking tour is about 1.5 miles with a substantial amount of stairs. Virtual tours are also available.
- It is customizable on your group focus, schooling level, interest in wastewater job field or expertise.
- You should wear flat, closed-toe shoes/sneakers or work boots that will not slide off your feet.
- We recommend wearing hats/sunglasses/sunscreen and loose-fitting athletic type clothing, as a majority of the tour is outdoors. Bring a drink with a lid, such as bottled water.
- We also ask you to stay off of your phone or electronic device to stay aware in the facility.
To schedule a tour, call the plant manager at (727) 453-6741.
Other Pinellas County Tours
- Solid Waste – Landfill / Recycling Tours
- Brooker Creek Preserve Environmental Education Center
- Heritage Village & Historical Museum
- Weedon Island Preserve Cultural and Natural History Center
- Florida Botanical Gardens
- County Parks: Guided Hikes and Nature Walks