Code Enforcement Frequently Asked Questions

Service Area / Map: Unincorporated Pinellas County 

For current Land Development Code specifics, contact Development Review Services at (727) 464-3888 or review the complete code.

NOTE: The following summaries will help you identify and understand different sections of the Pinellas County Code. This is not the full or exact Code language, so you should rely on the actual Code provisions for the most accurate guidance.

What makes my car an inoperative vehicle?

Your vehicle is considered inoperative if it cannot be legally operated on the road because of a cracked or missing windshield, broken lights, flat tire, etc. or if the tag is expired.

These vehicles may be stored inside a fully enclosed garage, repaired or removed from your property. For code specifics, see Sec. 58-270.

Can I park my truck on my property?

Most family-use pick-up trucks, vans and utility trailers can be parked on your property. However, if the vehicle has attachments such as racks or utility beds, you are allowed only one vehicle per dwelling. Including racks, cargo and equipment, the vehicle cannot exceed 8 feet in height, 8 feet in width and 21 feet in length, and should be parked on a prepared, inorganic surface. For code specifics, see Sec. 122-37.

Do I need a permit to install a fence or a shed?

Permits are generally not required for chain link, wood or vinyl fences. However, a zoning clearance may be required under certain conditions. For code specifics, see Sec. 138-3700 to 138-3709.

Sheds that are less than 100 square feet and no taller than 10 feet do not require a permit for residential property, unless they are connected to utilities. The shed must be a minimum of 3 feet from the property lines, unless the property is surrounded by a 6-foot-tall opaque fence. Sheds larger than 100 square feet require permits and must meet property setback requirements. For code specifics, see Sec. 138-3505(c).

Does the unincorporated county have fewer code restrictions?

The unincorporated areas of Pinellas County have been regulated by local ordinances and codes since 1963. Many of the regulations in our cities and municipalities are similar and address the same types of issues.

Why am I encountering an issue now?  I haven't had a problem before.

Although a violation may have previously existed, it may have only recently come to the attention of Code Enforcement.

How do I know what is allowed where I live?

If you live in unincorporated Pinellas County, please call Development Review Services at (727) 464-3888 for assistance. If you live in a city or municipality, please contact them for more information.

If you need to check your location, use the My Neighborhood map to confirm if you live in unincorporated Pinellas County or in one of our 24 cities or municipalities.

Can I run my business from my house?

Some home businesses are allowed, but they are restricted to preserve the residential character of our neighborhoods. Generally, no retail traffic or customers may come to your residence, and business activities should be invisible to the neighborhood. For code specifics, see Sec. 138-3218.

Can I park a recreational vehicle at my property?

Travel trailers and motor homes are limited to 40 feet, must be operational and must have a valid tag and registration. Connection to utilities as an accessory dwelling and / or prolonged habitation is prohibited. Pinellas County Code Enforcement does not enforce deed restrictions. Contact your homeowner association directly for information. For code specifics, see Sec. 138-1(b).

Who removes dead trees?

Property owners are responsible for tree removal on private property. Please review Pinellas County Tree Removal / Permits before you remove any trees.

What can be done about bees on private property?

Property owners are responsible for removing bees on private property.

In a community with a homeowner association, can Pinellas County enforce rules?

Pinellas County does not enforce the rules of homeowner associations. Our Code Enforcement only has regulatory authority over direct violations of a county ordinance.