Printing Equipment Operator 2
Pay Grade: C17
Job Code: 18650
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this job description.
Performs advanced skilled technical work in the set up and operation of a wide variety of single to multicolor printing machines, electronic prepress, and peripheral equipment; produces quality copies of numerous official documents and publications for public and private use.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (examples, not all inclusive)
- Sets up, adjusts, and operates offset printing presses, specializing in direct image process color and specially mixed inks;
- Sets up, adjusts, and operates advanced copiers, binding, and numbering equipment;
- Acts as lead printer on large projects;
- Actively participates in the training of new staff members and the training of current staff members on new equipment and procedures;
- Cleans and performs necessary repairs and maintenance on all assigned equipment;
- Prepares solutions and fills machines;
- Orders and maintains proper inventory of all supplies;
- Performs prepress duties such as stripping, metal plate developing, scanning, and digital plate processing;
- Maintains records of work performed, work distributed, materials, and costs;
- Assists customers by answering inquires and phone calls;
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Two (2) years of experience in the operation and maintenance of multi-color printing, electronic prepress, and bindery equipment; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience.
Special Qualifications (May be required depending on area of assignment):
- Florida Driver’s License or Florida Commercial Driver’s License and endorsement, if any.
- Assignment to work a variety of work schedules including compulsory work periods in special, emergency, and/or disaster situations.
- Other knowledge, skills, abilities, and credentials required for a specific position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the processes, methods, and equipment used in printing, duplicating, binding, and finishing;
- Knowledge of four color process printing;
- Knowledge of qualities, grades, and uses of paper, card stocks, and inks;
- Knowledge of photographic processing and digital plate making;
- Ability to operate multicolor printing equipment and bindery equipment;
- Ability to organize work and to estimate time and materials required;
- Ability to operate a desktop computer;
- Ability to work closely with and train co-workers;
- Ability to use small office equipment and computers;
- Ability to use or repair small, medium, and heavy equipment and machinery.
The work is medium work which requires exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required:
- Balancing: Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling while walking, standing or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces. The amount of balancing exceeds that needed for ordinary locomotion and maintenance of body equilibrium.
- Climbing: Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized.
- Crawling: Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet.
- Crouching: Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine.
- Feeling: Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips.
- Grasping: Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
- Handling: Picking, holding, or otherwise working, primarily with the whole hand.
- Kneeling: Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees.
- Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. Occurs to a considerable degree and requires substantial use of upper extremities and back muscles.
- Pulling: Using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
- Pushing: Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward.
- Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Visual ability: Sufficient to effectively operate office equipment including copier, computer, etc.; and to read and write reports, correspondence, instructions, etc.
- Hearing ability: Sufficient to hold a conversation with other individuals both in person and over a telephone; and to hear recording on transcription device.
- Speaking ability: Sufficient to communicate effectively with other individuals in person and over a telephone.
- Mental acuity: Ability to make rational decisions through sound logic and deductive processes.
- Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word including those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Repetitive motion: Substantial movements (motions) of the wrist, hands, and/or fingers.
- Standing: Particularly for sustained periods of time.
- Stooping: Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist. Occurs to a considerable degree and requires full motion of the lower extremities and back muscles.
- Walking: Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
Work is performed in an environment with heavy equipment and machinery that could result in bodily harm to co-workers or others.