Pay Grade: C28
Job Code: 14440
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this job description.
This is professional, advanced technical and advanced analytical work in planning, design or selection, development, maintenance, and implementation of information system software installed on multi-computer hardware and multi-operating system platforms devoted to mission critical objectives. The employee in this class is responsible for providing technical support, leadership, and liaison in the functional areas of information systems development and support in a multi-customer, multi-platform, multi-operating system, multi-vendor, mission critical environment. Duties include all aspects of system development and support, concentrating on technically complex tasks which include system and business analysis, planning, design, software development, testing, implementation and post implementation support. Must be capable of assuming total responsibility for assigned systems.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (examples, not all inclusive)
- Demonstrates a high degree of technical proficiency in leading edge and established technologies, operating systems, relational database management systems, and web enabling technologies;
- Creates or modifies customer centric information technology solutions; transforms complex business processes and procedures into programmable computer logic;
- Designs, develops and creates a large variety of original applications for customers;
- Formulates project plans and schedules, including requirements, tasks, work assignments, resources and critical milestone review points for moderate to large projects;
- Initiates, designs and develops original information system software procedures, routines and programs for large scale systems of multiple architectures, multiple platforms, and multiple agencies;
- Coordinates the work of less experienced information system programmer/analysts engaged in the development and installation of new and revised information system software and related program products;
- Provides recovery assistance on an on-call basis for information system failures of any type;
- Performs problem determination and provides resolution to management and customers;
- Improves processes to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of information systems, procedures, and equipment for large scale multi-agency systems;
- Maintains contact with software and hardware vendors to coordinate complex problem determination and resolution;
- Develops, coordinates and implements training programs for IT and customer staff;
- Provides reports of problem and change management activity and project labor distribution to IT management;
- Uses GIS to create sales maps;
- Participates on task forces in charge of finding efficiencies in processes especially in sale letters and surveys and permits;
- Assists customer service department with customers in need of Spanish translation and explanation of terminology and or business specific;
- Reviews and audits new systems during design, prior to implementation and start-up periods within the assigned systems area;
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or an acceptable equivalency diploma (GED); and four (4) years of experience in IT, MIS, computer science, evidencing competency in programming, computer systems program design, and systems analysis; or Associate’s degree plus two (2) years of directly related programming experience in IT, MIS, computer science, evidencing competency in computer systems program design and systems analysis; or Bachelor’s degree in IT, MIS, computer science, engineering, computer systems programming, program design and systems analysis, or related field; or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
Special Qualifications (May be required depending on area of assignment):
- Florida Driver’s License or Florida Commercial Driver’s License and endorsement, if any.
- Assignment to work a variety of work schedules including compulsory work periods in special, emergency, and/or disaster situations.
- Employee to successfully obtain and maintain a Florida Department of Law Enforcement, (FDLE), Criminal Justice Information Services, (CJIS), Level 3 – Limited Access certification within six (6) months of appointment.
- Hiring Department may require the following demonstrated experience in any of the following:
- Mainframe-centric system programming and development tools and practices — e.g., ORACLE, COBOL, CICS/BMS, VSAM, MVS, TSO/ISPF, JCL, EZ+, INTERTEST, MICROFOCUS, SYNCSORT, RDBMS’s.
- Client-server/web-based system development tools and practices – e.g. Oracle Forms/Reports/Designer, C++, Visual Basic, XML, Visual Interdev, ASP, .Net, Websphere, Java, CDPD or other Wireless Technology, Access/SQL/Oracle RDBMS.
- Other highly desirable knowledge, skills, abilities, and credentials required for a specific position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the operating characteristics, capabilities and limitations of small, medium and large-scale computer systems;
- Knowledge of operating systems, data base design and management, online transaction monitors, client-server, and web-based application tools;
- Knowledge of research techniques, methods and procedures;
- Knowledge of computer system metrics;
- Skill in project management and control;
- Skill in the programming languages utilized by the Business Technology Services department;
- Skill in systems analysis, design procedures and techniques;
- Skill in using highly technical computer applications, such as GIS or CAD;
- Ability to present oral and written technical reports clearly and concisely to customer staff and management;
- Ability to perform functional and performance tests; analyze test results; detect programming errors and perform proper corrective action on large scale, multi-platform / multi-agency systems;
- Ability to lead technical work groups of information systems staff.
This work requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required:
- Fingering: Picking, pinching, typing, or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling.
- Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discrimination in sound.
- Mental acuity: Ability to make rational decisions through sound logic and deductive processes.
- Repetitive motion: Substantial movements (motions) of the wrist, hands, and/or fingers.
- Speaking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word including the ability to convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately and concisely.
- Visual acuity: Have close visual acuity such as color differentiation, depth perception, and adequate field vision.
- Walking: Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
Work is typically performed in a safe and secure work environment that may periodically have unpredicted requirements or demands.