Pay Grade: C32
Job Code: 14442
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this job description.
This is professional, advanced technical and advanced analytical work in planning, design or selection, development, maintenance, and implementation of information system software installed on, multi-computer hardware and multi-operating system platforms devoted to mission critical objectives. Duties also include coordinating project tasks among other lower level technical personnel and assisting project managers with major enterprise wide projects. The employee in this class is responsible for providing the highest level of technical support, leadership, and liaison in the functional areas of information systems development and support in a multi-customer, multi-platform, multi-operating system, multi-vendor, and mission critical environment. Duties include providing advanced architecture and design concepts, programming techniques in leading edge technology, analytical and research work for technology and tool selection and utilization, exhaustive business analysis, development, installation, and maintenance of information technology systems.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (examples, not all inclusive)
- Demonstrates the highest degree of technical proficiency in leading edge and established technologies, operating systems, relational database management systems, and web enabling technologies;
- Insures architecture and design compatibility across the enterprise technical infrastructure;
- Designs, develops and creates a large variety of original applications for customers;
- Applies the principles of business analysis to numerous agencies to ensure the creation of the programmable computer logic is an accurate translation of the objectives of the business processes and procedures;
- Prepares project plans and schedules for large system projects, which includes requirements, tasks, work assignments, resources and critical milestone review points; reviews other project plans for maximum use of time and resources;
- Initiates, designs and develops very complex original information system software, procedures, and programs for large scale systems of multiple architectures, multiple platforms, and multiple agencies;
- Coordinates the work of less experienced programmer analysts engaged in the installation of new and revised information system software and related program products;
- Provides recovery assistance for information system failures;
- Performs problem determination and provides resolution;
- Improves processes to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of information systems, procedures, and equipment for large scale multi-platform systems;
- Maintains contact with software and hardware vendors to coordinate complex problem determination and resolution;
- Develops, coordinates and implements staff training programs for IT and customer management;
- Provides reports of problem and change management activity and project labor distribution to IT and customer management;
- Installs software on outside agency systems allowing them to connect to the emergency communications network;
- Reviews and audits new systems during design, prior to implementation and start-up periods;
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or an acceptable equivalency diploma (GED); and four (4) years of directly related programming experience with relational database software in business analysis that includes experience evidencing competency in computer program design and programmer analysis in related business processes; or Associate’s degree plus two (2) years of directly related programming experience with relational database software that includes experience described above; or Bachelor’s degree directly related to IT programming directly related to program design and business processes; or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
Special Qualifications (May be required depending on area of assignment):
- Florida Driver’s License or Florida Commercial Driver’s License and endorsement, if any.
- Assignment to work a variety of work schedules including compulsory work periods in special, emergency, and/or disaster situations.
- Hiring Department may require demonstrated experience in any of the following:
- Mainframe-centric system programming and development tools and practices — e.g., ORACLE, COBOL, CICS/BMS, VSAM, MVS, TSO/ISPF, JCL, EZ+, INTERTEST, MICROFOCUS, SYNCSORT, RDBMS’s.
- Client-server/web-based system development tools and practices – e.g. Oracle Forms/Reports/Designer, C++, Visual Basic, XML, Visual Interdev, ASP, .Net, Websphere, Java, CDPD or other Wireless Technology, Access/SQL/Oracle RDBMS
- Candidate may be required to actually demonstrate or be formally certification in one or more specific IT functions.
- Other highly desirable knowledge, skills, abilities, and credentials required for a specific position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the operating characteristics, capabilities and limitations of small, medium and large-scale computer systems;
- Knowledge of project management and resource allocation;
- Knowledge of operating systems, database design and management, online transaction monitors, client-server, relational database management systems, and web-based application tools;
- Knowledge of programming and upgrade procedures on an enterprise wide level;
- Knowledge of computer system metrics;
- Skill in the use of programming languages utilized by the Information Technology Department;
- Skill in project management and control;
- Skill in facilitating teamwork and cooperation among all levels of the organization and customers;
- Skill in research techniques, methods and procedures;
- Skill in systems analysis, design procedures and techniques;
- Ability to present oral and written technical reports clearly and concisely to customer management and governing boards;
- Ability to determine project timelines, determine process and workflow for completing tasks;
- Ability to schedule, report on progress and meet project deadlines;
- Ability to perform functional and performance tests; analyze test results; detect programming errors and perform proper corrective action on large scale multi-platform / multi-agency systems;
- Ability to take a leadership role in accomplishing the goals of the I;T; organization;
- Ability to supervise or direct technical work groups of information systems staff.
This work requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required:
- Fingering: Picking, pinching, typing, or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling.
- Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discrimination in sound.
- Mental acuity: Ability to make rational decisions through sound logic and deductive processes.
- Repetitive motion: Substantial movements (motions) of the wrist, hands, and/or fingers.
- Speaking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word including the ability to convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately and concisely.
- Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word including those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Walking: Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
Work is typically performed in a dynamic environment that requires sensitivity to changing goals, priorities, and needs.