Permitting Guide

Pinellas County Access Portal

All permits for unincorporated areas and special areas we serve can be applied for in the Pinellas County Access Portal. To use the Pinellas County Access Portal, make sure to create an account. Please read the instructions website thoroughly before creating an account.

Do We Serve Your Area?

We serve unincorporated areas, Belleair Beach, Belleair Bluffs, Belleair Shore, Indian Rocks Beach, Safety Harbor, and Oldsmar. Please verify with your city whether a preapproval letter is required for the project. If a preapproval letter is required by the city, it must be uploaded to the Pinellas County Access Portal when the permit is submitted.

Verify your jurisdiction by visiting Pinellas County My Neighborhood or the Pinellas County Property Appraiser website:

View contact information for building departments in Pinellas County

How To’s

Make Permit Changes

CBP, BC, or BR Permits –

Express – EBP Permit –

  • To reinstate an expired permit that was processed prior to December 5, 2022, fill out a Central Permit Form and email it to the appropriate department. Emails are listed above.
  • To reinstate an expired permit that was processed after December 5, 2022, please use the Pinellas County Access Portal to process your revision. Select Record and select Amend.
  • To extend a permit that is about to expire, send an email to the appropriate department stating why the permit needs to be extended, and the permit number.
  • To change a General Contractor, write a letter signed by the owner, and fill out a new Central Permit Form. Then, email to the appropriate department.
  • To change subcontractors, write a letter signed by the owner, email the letter with a Subcontractors List to the appropriate department.
  • To submit a revision, please use the Pinellas County Access Portal to process your revision. Under the Build tab you will see your permits. If the reviewer is waiting on you, you will see a link to make changes.

Make Payments

Accepted by credit card on the Pinellas County Access Portal.

Fee Schedule – Development Review fees begin on page 642.

Submit a Notice of Commencement (NOC)

For Pinellas County properties, you may record the Notice of Commencement (NOC) at the Pinellas County Clerk of Court. After the document is recorded, it must be attached when completing permit submittal to the Pinellas County Access Portal when applying. NOCs may also be sent via email to

Notice of Commencement (NOC) Recording: Pinellas Clerk Online recording services for businesses only or at locations below:

315 Court St. Clearwater – Room 150                              

545 1st Avenue North St Petersburg – Room 153

Per Florida statute all Notice of Commencements must be on site for each inspection.

Permit Submittal Intake Checklists

Permit Submittal Intake Checklist

The following are potential requirements to accompany Residential and Commercial Permit applications. Requirements vary based on the type of permit.

  • Habitat Permit Form: When exterior work or new construction is being proposed
  • Right-of-Way Utilization Form: For projects proposed in the County Right of Way such as new/replacement driveways, sidewalks, sewer or water connections, temporary access, etc.
  • Building Plans: Two complete sets of building plans; most projects will require these plans be signed and sealed.
  • All plans must show existing conditions and proposed conditions.
  • Current Boundary/Topographic Survey: Issued within last five years and plot plan/site plan for all projects. Outdated surveys will not be accepted for new construction.
  • Recorded Notice of Commencement Form (NOC): For any project value over $2,500 for building trade and $15,000 for mechanical equal change outs.
  • Completed Sub-Contractor Form: For any permits that require multiple trade work
  • Owner Builders may start the application but must appear in person for affidavit verification with a valid State-issued ID. Owner Contractor Affidavit
  • All other information that might be applicable to specific projects such as:
    • Signed energy forms & HVAC sizing calculations
    • Florida Product Approval List
    • Flood Zone Application (New Construction only- A&V Zones)
    • FEMA Cost Breakdown information
    • Copy of signed contract & Substantial Improvement Disclosure Form if FEMA 50% Rule is applicable
    • No objection letters from electric company (pools and signs)
    • For properties on septic, No objection letter/permit from the Florida Department of Health for proposed project
    • Equipment specifications
  • Safety Act Letter – Required for pools.

Development Review Permit Submittal Intake Checklist

The following are minimum requirements to accompany all Development Review applications, such as Zoning Clearances for Short-Term Vacation Rentals, Driveways, Slabs, Paving, Resealing, Restriping, Patios, Sheds with foundation under 100 square feet, Fill of all types, and Fences.

  • Habitat Permit Form
  • Right of Way Utilization Form: For projects proposed in the County Right of Way such as new/replacement driveways, sidewalks, sewer or water connections, temporary access, etc.
  • Drawings: Detailing entire work scope.
  • Site Plan/Survey
  • All other information that might be applicable to specific projects.
  • Please note certain documents may or may not be required, subject to review and scope of work.


  • Please note: You must have a valid license associated with your Pinellas County Access Portal account in order to add your license to Permit applications. Permitting contractors will need to create an account through the Pinellas County Access Portal (instructions). A current state-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license or a state identification card, must be uploaded to your Pinellas County Access Portal account for Pinellas County Building Services to verify a license holder, a process that may take up to 24 business hours.
  • Only licensed contractors can add a license to their Pinellas County Access Portal and contractor must be identified as the Account Owner. Authorized agents must be added as delegates by the contractor on the contractor account to act on their behalf once permissions have been granted.

PCCLB registered contractors

When registering with Pinellas County Access Portal, your contractor license must be in Active status. Please note if your contractor license does not appear when adding your license to the Pinellas County Access Portal account, your license may be expired, or may not be active in the PCCLB database. You will need to contact the PCCLB directly to rectify any issues with the status of your license. The Pinellas County Building and Development Review Services Department will not be able to update any license information. Permits will not be processed for inactive contractors.

All contractors not regulated by PCCLB

  • Gas/LP
  • Mobile Home installers/IH
  • Sprinkler
  • Chemical
  • Fire Protection

Registration must be submitted to Please include the following items:

  • Copy of State-issued contractor license
  • Liability and workers compensation insurance certificates
  • Copy of State-issued identification (driver’s license, etc.); address must match contractor license

All permits applied for in error are NON-REFUNDABLE.

  • Express Permits are standalone and cannot be combined together for a larger project. There are three main types of building permits: Express, Residential, and Commercial. Visit the Digital Plan Room to view all permit types, including Development Review Services permits.
    Questions? Contact us by email or at (727) 464-3888
    • For private provider permits and protected address permits, please contact us.

Contact Us

Contact Us by Email:

Zoning/Residential Permitting :

Express/Commercial Permitting:

General Information:


Contractor Services and Inspections:

Pinellas County Access Portal:

Contact Us by Phone:

BDRS Call Center:
(727) 464-3888

Inspection Questions:
(727) 464-3888 (Press options 1, 1,1)

Zoning Clearances / Residential Permits: (727) 464-3401

Utilities Permits:
(727) 464-3473

Commercial Permits:
(727) 464-3170, (727) 464-4165

Right of Way Permits:
(727) 464-3404 or
(727) 464-3260

Express Permits:
(727) 464-3741, (727) 464-3927,
(727) 464-3166

Tree/Habitat Permits: (727) 464-3480

Scheduling Inspections:

(727) 453-4000, IVR user IDs and pins are no longer required. Cut off for next day inspections is 3:30pm.

Follow the system prompts for the corresponding permit type.

Inspection Phone Line Codes

(727) 453-4000, IVR user IDs and pins are no longer required.

Building Inspections

1002       B – Footing

1004       B – Slab

1006       B – Lintel

1008       B – Roof Sheathing

1009       B – Wall Sheathing

1010       B – Insulation

1012       B – Roof Dry-in

1014       B – Flashing

1016       B – Frame

1018       B – Wall Dry-in

1020       B – Lath

1022       B – Dry wall

1024       B – Roof Covering

1026       B – Column

1028       B – Fire Wall

1030       B – Steel

1032       B – Deck

1036       B – Press Test

1040       B – Tie Backs

1041       B – Caps

1042       B – Beams

1043       B – Mobile Home Tie Down

1046       B – Fire or Vehicle Damage

1050       B – Niche

1051       B – Static Water

1052       B – Partial Final Pool Protect

1060       B – Track

1065       B – Fill Cell

1070       B – Strapping

1075       B – Reroof in Progress

1097       B – Partial Final

1099       B – Final

Mechanical Inspections

1200       M – 1st Rough

1201       M – Partial Rough

1202       M – Oil

1204       M – Furnace

1206       M – Boiler

1208       M – Downdraft KV

1297       M – Partial Final

1299       M – Final

Chemical Inspections 

1600       C – 1st Rough

1697       C – Partial Final

1699       C – Final

Electrical Inspections

1100       E – Sawpole

1102       E – Slab

1104       E – First Rough

1106       E – Temporary Power

1108       E – Service

1110       E – Pool Bond

1114       E – Wet Niche Bond

1116       E – Fire or Vehicle Damage

1118       E – Ceiling Rough

1122       E – TUG Inspection

1140       E – Partial Rough

1150       E – Rough FA

1151       E – Partial Rough FA

1152       E – Partial Final FA

1153       E – Final FA

1154       E – Partial Rough Low Voltage

1155       E – Partial Final Low Voltage

1197       E – Partial Final

1199       E – Final

Gas Inspections

1500       G – 1st Rough Gas Complete

1502       G – Aboveground Tank

1504       G – Underground Tank

1505       G – 1st Rough Piping and PT Int

1506       G – 1st Rough Piping and PT UG

1508   G – Piping Ext or Underground

1509       G – Appliance Install Only

1510       G – Gas Generator Set and Anchor

1540       G – 1st Rough Piping and PT Ext

1542   G – 1st Rough
* Gas Venting Only

1597       G – Partial Final

1599       G – Final

Refrigeration Inspections     

1700       R – 1st Rough

1710       R – Pressure Test

1797       R – Partial Final

1799       R – Final


1300       P – 1st Rough

1302       P – 2nd Rough

1306       P – Sewer

1308       P – Water Svc

1310       P – Big Tub

1312       P – DWV/Roof

1314       P – Shower Pans Only

1316       P – Irrigation BFD

1320       P – UG Storm Piping

1321       P – Storm Sewer

1322       P – Storm Conductors

1323       P – Roof Drains

1324       P – Tub Set Only

1325       P – Grease Interceptors

1327       P – Water Pipe Only

1330       P – Tankless W/H

1332       P – Medical Gas 1st Rough

1333       P – Medical Gas 2nd Rough

1397       P – Partial Final

1399       P – Final

Hood Inspections  

1400       H – 1st Rough

1497       H – Partial Final

1499       H – Final

DRS Finals

3002       ENGR – Final and/or CO