Our employees are valuable recruiting partners, especially during the current labor market recruiting challenges. Classified and exempt employees may earn a cash incentive up to $1,000 when an employee whom they referred is hired to fill a vacant position within the Unified Personnel System (UPS).
Our data indicates that new hires who are referred by existing employees stay at a 20% higher rate after one year of employment. This new incentive will be helpful both for attracting candidates and retaining newly hired employees.
What is the referral cash incentive?
- Each referred employee results in an incentive payment up to $1,000 to the referring employee.
- The first $500 will be paid following the referred employee’s 90th day of employment.
- The final $500 is paid following the referred employee’s completion of one year with the same Appointing Authority.
- The referring employee and the referred employee must both be employed by the Unified Personnel System at the time the incentive is awarded.
- The candidate hired may be classified or exempt status, but may not be a temporary employee.
How will my referral be noted?
The candidate must indicate the name of the employee who referred them on the supplemental questionnaire portion during the initial submission of the employment application. Names may not be added at a later time and multiple names are not accepted.
Whose referrals would not be eligible?
- Supervisors in the position’s chain of command or otherwise involved in the hiring process for the position are not eligible for this incentive.
- Supervisors who supervised a volunteer who is hired within the Unified Personnel System are not eligible for this incentive.
- The new hire referral must be external and cannot be a current employee; i.e., internal transfers, demotions, and promotions do not qualify for this incentive.
- A new hire cannot have been assigned to the Unified Personnel System through a contractor providing supplemental employees, such as a temporary employee from Personnel Solutions Plus.
- Human Resources staff involved in the recruitment, selection or otherwise involved in the hiring process for the position are not eligible for this incentive.
- Employees who attended a recruiting event on behalf of Pinellas County Government and referred a new hire as a result are not eligible for this incentive.
May I refer more than one person?
Yes. There is no limit to the number of incentive payments an employee can qualify for if s/he refers more than one person who is hired.
How is the referral incentive awarded?
- Once the referred employee has completed 90 days of employment with the Appointing Authority, Human Resources will notify Payroll of the referring employee’s initial incentive award.
- Once the referred employee has completed one year of employment with the Appointing Authority, Human Resources will notify Payroll of the final incentive award.
- Payroll will process the approved incentive amounts which will appear as part of the referring employee’s paycheck (not a separate check).
- Referral incentives will be processed monthly for the next available pay date.
What is I need more information or have questions?