Grievance Process

Papers titled Employee Grievance and pen

Employee Relations provides support for both employees and management through neutral and unbiased information, feedback and guidance regarding workplace concerns, and disciplinary issues.

If you need information or assistance, contact Employee Relations at (727) 464-3367, option 2, or email

Grievance Procedure

First, talk with your supervisor to attempt to resolve the issue. If you need to continue with the Grievance Process, this is a summary:

  • Step 1: Submit a written grievance to the department head using the Grievance Form within 15 calendar days of becoming aware of the issue.
  • Step 2: Request an Informal Grievance Committee hearing if eligible.
  • Step 3: Request a Unified Personnel Board appeal if eligible.

Download the fillable Grievance Form.

Grievance Form

Employee Advocate Assistance

An employee who initiates a grievance may need someone to help them present their viewpoint. Employees’ Advisory Council (EAC) Advocates have volunteered to provide assistance to fellow employees for grievances or disciplinary hearings. To request assistance from an Employee Advocate, use the Request an Advocate Form (login to SharePoint required). If you need assistance with the form, email, contact your EAC Representative or Delegate, or call Human Resources at (727) 464-3367, option 2.

To request an advocate, complete the form on the EAC SharePoint site.

Request an Advocate Form


Informal mediation may be requested at any stage of the grievance process but must be agreed to by both parties. Use the Mediation Request Form.

Termination Appeal

Dismissals are not subject to grievance. Dismissals of regular status employees may be appealed directly to the Unified Personnel Board by filing a written notice of appeal with the Director of Human Resources within 15 calendar days from the notice of the dismissal.

An employee serving the initial probationary period (normally one year) may not appeal a dismissal.

Unified Personnel Board members are citizens who are appointed and are not employed by Pinellas County Government. See Personnel Board Appeal Procedures.

Related Information