Unincorporated Permit Requirements

Pinellas County requires a permit for any new building, addition, remodeling, demolition, or other work in the unincorporated county that is either in excess of $500.00 or requires an inspection.

Below is a list of the most common building permits. If you do not find what you need, or if you have questions, please call Pinellas County Building Services at (727) 464-3888.

Note: These do not apply to the communities that contract our services, or for properties outside of the unincorporated county. Please check with your local municipality or city. To see if you are on unincorporated property, visit PCPAO.org and search their database for your property.

How do I know if my property is unincorporated?

Visit PCPAO.org and view the Current Tax District. Select the letters in the Current Tax District section to see if the property is unincorporated and permits with the County. Otherwise, it will say Municipal and you would work with the city.

Projects That Need Permits

  • Air Conditioning Permit
    • Install a new system or change an existing system.
  • Aluminum Structure
    • Install structures like screen rooms, carports, pool enclosures, etc.
  • Antenna Permit
    • Add an antenna on a 2″ pole or larger.
  • Demolition Permit
    • Demolish any structure.
  • Electrical — Basic Work
    • Change or add to existing electrical circuits.
    • Add additional loads to the electrical panel.
    • Wire new equipment or appliances.
  • Electrical Service Change
    • Change an electric panel from fuse type to circuit breakers, replace panels or service equipment, or upgrade to a larger rating.
  • Habitat / Tree Permit
    • Remove a tree or undertake a landscaping and / or habitat project.
  • Mobile Home Permit
    • Replace or set up a mobile home.
  • Plumbing Fixture Permit
    • Relocate a fixture, or replace a bathtub with shower or a whirlpool tub or shower pan.
  • Residential Permit
    • Construct a new home.
    • A building permit is required for any addition to a one-, two-, or three-family dwelling unit.
  • Roof Replacement Permit
    • Replace an existing roof.
  • Sewer Replacement Permit
    • A plumbing permit is required to replace of an existing sewer.
  • Soffits, Fascia and Siding
    • A building permit is required to replace soffits and fascia as well as siding.
  • Water Conditioner Permit
    • A plumbing permit is required to install any type of water conditioner.
  • Water Heater Permit
    • A plumbing permit is required to replace any water heater.
  • Water Service Replacement Permit
    • A plumbing permit is required to replace the water service.
  • Windows and Door Replacement
    • A building permit is required to replace all types of windows and exterior doors, including sliding glass doors and garage doors.
  • Utility/Storage Sheds
    • A building permit is required for a new or replacement utility or storage shed larger than 100 square feet.

Projects That Require Clearances or Other Permitting

The following work does not require a Pinellas County building permit, but you may need clearances and / or permits from other sections:

  • Residential utility sheds smaller than 100 square feet — Contact the Zoning Division (for setbacks) at (727) 464-3401.
  • Chain link, vinyl or wood fences under six feet in height — Contact the Zoning Division (for height limitations) and Engineering (for line of sight).
  • Paving and driveways — Contact Zoning (for impervious areas) at (727) 464-3401, Environmental (for a Habitat Permit) at (727) 464-3480, and Regulatory Services for the portion of the driveway / sidewalk in the right of way (Right-of-Way Permit).

Projects That Do Not Need Permits

The Pinellas County Building and Development Review Services Department does not require building permits for:

  • Work that is strictly cosmetic, including painting, wallpapering, carpeting, kitchen cabinets, etc.
  • Roof work that is less than $750 in value. View the Roofing Policy for more details.

Review the Florida Building Code Chapter 1, 7th Edition (2020) effective December 31, 2020 for more information.

Permits Available Online

The following Express permits are available online through the Pinellas County Access Portal for the areas of unincorporated Pinellas County, Belleair Shore, Indian Rocks Beach and Safety Harbor. Each item listed may represent multiple permit types. If the permit type is not on this list, a paper application must be submitted to our office.

  • Garage Doors
  • Siding/Stucco/Soffit & Fascia
  • Windows/Doors/Shutters (Attachments Required for Plan Review prior to issuance)
  • Water Heaters (All types)
  • Electrical-Pool-Heat Pump Only
  • Electrical Re-Cert/Restore Power
  • Electrical Service Change – 1 Or 2 Family Only
  • Gas-Change of LP Gas Supplier (no new exterior underground piping or new tanks)
  • Gas Appliance Change out
  • Mechanical-AC and Furnace Change Outs/AC Duct Replacement
  • Plumbing Emergency Sewer/Water Service REPLACEMENT ONLY
  • Plumbing Interior Only BLDG Drain Replacement
  • Plumbing Cure in Place Pipe Liner System
  • Plumbing Fixture Replacement Res/Comm
  • Plumbing Re-pipe Water Distribution (no exterior work)
  • Plumbing Shower Pan (Plumbing Only) Tub to Shower Conversion
  • Plumbing Water Conditioners/Softeners
  • Refrigeration-Refrigeration Eq C/O
  • Roofing Flat/Shingle/Tile/Roofing
  • Roofing Metal (Requires S&S Engineering) (Attachments Required for Plan Review prior to issuance)

Contact Information

Permitting and inspections have moved online to our Pinellas County Access Portal. An account is required for permitting and inspections.