Household Chemical Collection
Effective October 1, 2022: New Procedure and Program Change
- Your government-issued ID will be required and scanned to verify residency when using the HEC3, the Swap Shop, and Mobile Collection Events.
- Collected electronics will no longer be sent to a private recycler; they will be sent to Waste-to-Energy (WTE) Facility. View the Household Electronic Program Change page to learn more.
The Department of Solid Waste’s HEC3 program diverts Household Hazardous Waste from the municipal solid waste stream for proper recycling and disposal. HEC3 currently collects chemicals through the following programs for free:
- HEC3: Permanent collection facility open six days a week from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Located at 2855 109th Avenue N. St. Petersburg, FL.
- Mobile Collection Events: Held throughout Pinellas County on select Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. See schedule below for dates and locations.
- Haz-to-Go Collection Events: Held upon request at qualifying neighborhoods on select Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
This collection program is for Pinellas County households only.
Businesses, hobbyists, haulers, and nonprofits should visit the Business Collection Events page.
What to Bring – Chemicals
|What To Bring|
Customers with quantities in excess of the limits above will be referred to the Business Collection Events for service. Loads will be evaluated upon arrival. Visit the Business Collection Events page for more information.
What Not to Bring
|What Not To Bring|
To find out how to get rid of other electronics and chemicals, use the Where Does it Go? Search Tool.
How to Package Chemicals
When you are getting ready to drop off your household chemicals at HEC3 or a mobile collection event, please package them as follows to help keep you and our staff safe and to minimize spills:
- Place containers in a box or tray and use crumpled newspaper as packing material to prevent breakage.
- Place leaking containers in a clear, sealed bag; then in a box or tray.
- Place chemicals in trunk or truck bed, away from passengers.
- Mix chemicals together.
- Put containers in a bag, unless leaking.
Residents are invited to drop off certain household chemical items for free. See the table above for accepted items.
Open Monday through Saturday
7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
2855 109th Ave. N., St. Petersburg
The Swap Shop, which is located at HEC3, is a reuse program for household chemical products, such as paint, cleaners, and automotive fluids. It is free for Pinellas County residents. Availability can change by the minute, and quantities may be limited. Despite the name, there is no need to swap.
Capacity is limited to 3 customers at a time.
Open Monday through Saturday
7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Mobile Collection Events and Schedule
Mobile Collection Events are held throughout Pinellas County on select Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Collections may be delayed or canceled due to inclement weather.
Customers must stay in their vehicle. Items must be placed in the trunk, truck bed, or trailer to allow staff safe access.
2022 Countywide Collection Events (subject to change)
Monthly North County Collection Events
|Jan. 22||Apr. 23||July 23||Oct. 22||
(behind the Pinellas County Government Center, south of Curlew Road)
|Feb. 26||May 21||Aug. 27||Nov. 19|
|Mar. 26||June 25||Sept. 24||Dec. 17|
View the Mobile Collection Experience Videos below.
Mobile Collection Experience
A mobile collection event is an easy and convenient way for residents to discard unwanted household chemicals.
At a mobile collection event, staff will ask for your government-issued ID and about the items you have, then direct you to a drop off area, where staff will collect and separate the items for safe packaging and handling.
What to expect at a mobile collection event:
Haz-to-Go Collection Events
Haz-To-Go is a small community collection event for civic groups, condo or homeowner associations and manufactured home parks that meet certain criteria:
- Must be a 55+ community of 300-1,000 residents.
- Must be more than 5 miles away from HEC3 and scheduled Mobile Collection events.
For more information and to schedule a Haz-To-Go, call (727) 464-7500 or email email@example.com.
We are happy to help! Call (727) 464-7500, email firstname.lastname@example.org or click the Live Chat button below.