Employee Assistance Program
Need some help? Get confidential short-term assistance with Pinellas County’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) administered by Cigna.
The services available to all permanent employees, their dependents, and those residing in the eligible member’s home include assessment, counseling, and referrals.
- Website: www.myCigna.com
Log in to use the online chat, get authorization and access resources.
- App: myCigna
- Phone: (800) 862-3557, option 4, available 24/7 Remain on the line for both EAP and behavioral/mental health assistance. (First responders can access specialized clinicians by selecting option 4, then option 1.)
- Get assistance by phone, in-person or video-conference (virtual visit).
What is the Employee Assistance Program (EAP)?
EAP provides short-term problem resolution services to help you and your family with issues with family, drugs, emotions, and stress, plus legal or financial questions.
Who is eligible?
All permanent employees, their dependents, and those residing in the eligible member’s home are eligible for EAP at no cost, regardless of whether they are enrolled in the County’s medical plan.
How much does it cost?
There is no cost. Assistance is free for all permanent employees, dependents and members of their household.
What coverage is available?
- Coverage is provided for up to six (6) free visits per issue per year per person for counseling, assessment and problem resolution. For example, you could have up to 6 visits about anxiety and another 6 visits for parenting issues.
- If you need more than 6 visits, your EAP counselor will work to transition your care to the Behavioral/Mental Health Program.
How do I find a provider?
- Get pre-authorization first, either by calling Cigna (800) 862-3557, option 4, or online at www.myCigna.com before contacting a provider.
- Visit www.myCigna.com to view a list of network providers including counselors, therapists, and psychiatrists. Virtual visits (online therapy) are available.
- Household members without a Cigna account can register at www.myCigna.com by entering Employer ID: pinellascounty.
What services can I get?
- Personal counseling on issues such as anxiety, depression, parenting and family, relationship problems, workplace changes, living with chronic conditions, traumatic events, and substance use
- Financial counseling
- Legal support including a free 30-minute consultation with an attorney by phone or in person
- Referrals for care of children and elderly parents
- Online help center with resources for hundreds of everyday work and life issues including financial calculators and legal articles
For more information, see www.myCigna.com.
What is the difference between EAP and the Behavioral/Mental Health Program?
- EAP provides short-term problem resolution services for mental health and other life issues and/or referrals for longer term care.
- The Behavioral/Mental Health Program provides short-term and long-term problem resolution for behavioral/mental health issues.
- Outpatient services – Use either program.
- Inpatient services – For services at a hospital or clinic for diagnosed conditions such as depression or addiction to drugs, use the Behavioral/Mental Health Program.
Do I start with EAP or the Behavioral/Mental Health Program?
Every situation is different, but generally we recommend starting with EAP to determine what services will work best for your needs.