Employee Benefit Plans
Pinellas County is self-insured. Being self-insured means that rather than paying an insurance company to pay claims, we pay the claims ourselves, using a third-party administrator to process the claims on our behalf. This results in cost savings and better control of the plans.
(in alphabetical order)
- Behavioral/Mental Health (Cigna): This program provides short and long-term problem resolution services for you and your family. Employees and eligible dependents are eligible if they are enrolled in the County’s group medical plan.
- Dental (Cigna) – There are three plans available: HMO, Basic PPO, and PPO with Orthodontia. All permanent employees working at least 20 hours a week are eligible.
- Disability (UnitedHealthcare): Short Term and Long Term Disability plans can replace a percentage of your income when disabled or unable to work due to illness, pregnancy, childbirth or an injury that is not work-related.
- Employee Assistance Program or EAP (Cigna): This program provides confidential assistance with everyday challenges plus financial and legal support. All permanent employees, their dependents, and those residing in the eligible member’s home are eligible at no cost.
- Life Insurance (Securian Financial): Basic term life insurance equal to their annual salary is provided to all permanent employees working at least 20 hours a week at no cost. Supplemental coverage is available for a fee.
- Medical (Cigna): There are two plans available: Open Access Plan (OAP) and Choice Fund OAP with Health Savings Account. Group coverage is available to all permanent and long-term temporary employees working at least 20 hours a week.
- Prescription (Express Scripts): Employees enrolled in the County’s group medical plan are automatically enrolled in the prescription plan for no additional cost.
- Vision (EyeMed): Employees enrolled in the County’s group medical plan are automatically enrolled in the vision plan for no additional cost.
- Voluntary Benefits: The benefits offered are Accident, Hospital and Critical Illness through Aflac, Legal Assistance through ARAG, and Identity Protection through Allstate Identity Protection (AIP). Benefits are 100% employee paid.